Church
of the
Good Shepherd
Good Shepherd - History
Foundation
The Parish was founded in 1929, with the foundation stone of the first church being laid by Bishop Dunn on March 21st of that year. The first recorded baptism was on 1st December 1929 and Father Patrick Joseph Power was the first parish priest. By 1960 the Catholic population was growing quickly and building began on Somersby Road of the Good Shepherd Catholic Primary School. About this time plans also began to be formulated for a new church. This resulted in the building of the present church, which was opened on 23rd July 1964. The architect was Gerard Goalen and the design won an award from the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1966.

In the Autumn of 1963 plans were being discussed for a Catholic Secondary school which resulted in the opening of Christ the King Catholic Comprehensive school in 1971.
The Parish Boundary
The parish is bounded by Hucknall Road on the West from Carrington and along Arnold Lane and Oxclose Lane, then Northwards by Mansfield Road, including the cul-de-sacs on its West side, to a meeting with Calverton Parish, probably at Burntstump.
On the East side it runs at first along Mansfield Road in Carrington, then up Private Road to Woodborough Road and continues along Mapperley Plains and Plains Road, including the first half of Spring Lane, until meeting with Calverton parish beyond Lime Lane.
The Building
The Good Shepherd Church is a glorious building, one of the first to include provision for the liturgical changes of Vatican II, and was recognised by English heritage with the award of a Grade II* listing on 24th September 1998. Patrick Reyntien's Dalle de Verre and Nicholas Mynheer's interpretation of the Way of the Cross enhance the setting for prayer and reflection.
The Parish
The Good Shepherd parish hosts many groups and organisations, providing activities to interest everyone. As well as the Good Shepherd Primary and Christ the King Comprehensive schools the parish has a half share in St. Margaret Clitherow School which is situated in the adjacent Infant of Prague parish.
The Organ
View the updated specification of the organ recently submitted to the National Organ Registry by Michael Bussey. This is now included in their records and is also available for viewing on their website.
The Millennium Bell
A recent addition to the church is the Millennium bell which was cast on 4th February 1999.
At noon and 6.00 pm the bell rings the Angelus and it is also rung for a few minutes before Mass on Sundays.
The inscription on the bell reads:

AND ETERNAL LIFE IS THIS:

TO KNOW YOU

THE ONLY TRUE GOD,

AND JESUS WHOM YOU HAVE

SENT

3 Thackeray's Lane, Woodthorpe, Nottingham, NG5 4HT. Tel: (0115) 926 8288